Tuesday, March 18, 2008

3.17.08- New Exercise Area

My new exercise area:

I have decided to use a new riding area for Sundance & I for several reasons:
1) I do not have an arena large enough to work on flying lead changes etc.
2) Sundance is over impulsive in large open areas, so we need a large open area to work on his impulsion.
3) Tit for Tat is hard to do in a small area.
4) This will help me tremendously with my power of focus, something Sundance needs me to work on.
This is going to be a challenge, but I love challenges! BRING IT ON!
This will be SO good for us when it comes to our relationship, groundskills and riding skills.

Monday March 17, 2008-
First I did some friendly then worked on our cantering on the 45 ft line, then I took off the lead and did the circling game at liberty (in an open feild, he did great). Then I decided to hop on and ride around the area so he could get used to it, he did fine for his usually strong willed but willing self. After a while I decided to take on his trot in an open area, he did fine until he was pointed to the barn. It was then he got his energy up and did his power trot, so I decided to do some cirles for his impulsion. After we gracefully (surprisingly graceful) did a few circles trotting he could sucessfully trot toward and away from the barn without getting over impusive. He jogged and cantered with me beside the gator at liberty up to the barn in the end, stopping when I did, trotting when I did and canterin when I did. How cool is that? What a great way to end a session! I think today will be as good or better, I will tell you how it goes.
xoxo m

No comments: