Thursday, April 3, 2008

April 2, 2008

Bebe
Bebe did very well yesterday, we accompished a lot in my oppinion. Bebe was right brained a little bit of the session because of mowing, my brother driving the horses up to the barn and the green ball. But after playing with him and getting his mind thinking he was left brained in no time, we started off with the fun friendly game then we went and played with the ball for the second time, he wasn't very sure about it the first few minutes. But I walked around with it and he got used to it, then I bounced it around him, made it shoot back, bounce over him, rub around him, did some squeeze game with him, then I asked him push it around a little bit. He tried to jump it a few times (and did jump it once, wow!) then he found out if he pushed it, it would actually move. Then he started to act like the smart horse he is, he started to push it around with his front feet, push it with his nose and a few times did a half jump to make it move even more. It was very fun to watch and he seemed to be having fun too. I got the ball up on his back, without any tension in him. He seemed very relaxed, my brother decided he'd pretend to be the ball too and stand on his back. Yesterday was a very fun and successful day for Bebe and I. I do believe this will help Bebe's confidence, in me and in himself.
If you would like to see a video of Bebe playing with the ball, there is a link to it on the left hand side labeled 'Mariah's Video Links'.

Sundance
I did not get to do much of any groundwork with Sundance yesterday, my brother was begging me to come on a ride with him. I put his saddle on and we did some circling game while adjusting the girth in sessions. He trotted around me in a 4-6 foot circle gracefully, changing directions when I stepped back and stopped with the change of glance. I was very proud of the way he acted the whole time, he had his ears up at attention on the ground asking questions and was willing in the saddle. We played with my natural power of focus, his feel in the halter, transitions and asking permission when grazing. It was so much fun and I do believe he is getting the hang of asking permission to eat grass, he was a big pleasure to be around.

Plan for April 3, 2008- I am going to finish up school, then around lunch we are going to take a 15 minute trail ride to a friends house who has a 50-60 foot round pen I am going to use with Sundance. I will post more details and pictures later this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Mariah Helms

No comments: