Friday, May 30, 2008

May 29 & 30, 2008 - Motivation through Perspiration

Sundance and I played first, I talked with a Parelli Professional about Sundances unwillingness with backing to the end of the 45 foot line. I interpreted from her advice something interesting, something I already knew but was not sure how to apply it to this situation and didn't really think about it. Horses choose the path of "least resistance", in other words, horses choose the easiest path when given the choice. Make the right thing comfortable, and the wrong thing uncomfortable. In this situation, I am making backing to the end of the 45 foot line the most pleasurable task of the session: the easiest. What I am doing is working on our flying lead change online (Which is coming along very nicely by the way with both of them) and then doing other energy demanding tasks, which surprisingly causing him to be more curious and cautious about everything with ears UP at attention. I remember doing the circling game in Level 2 and him HATING it, that is why I was hesitating doing a lot of energy demanding tasks the past couple of weeks because I thought he would hate me for it. But now that I know as long as I keep it so interesting and hard core enough to keep his attention, he will not get bored. So now that the yo-yo is becoming the easiest task it is getting better, and so is his energy demanding tasks. I am going to be very honest here, I do not want to seem like a unrealistic person by acting like everything is always perfect with me. I want to be real with all the people that read my blog and follow me with my everyday challenges, I am here as a real person and friend for you to learn from. I have been discouraged the past few weeks about Sundance and him not being bright or happy during the sessions, even when I am trying my best. Especially with his ears being back more than forward, he just didn't look like he was happy with me. You know it's just like having a child and every time he or she comes near you they look miserable, I know that just tears a parents heart out... It was doing the same for me. Now that I have thought about it and talked with a few instructors, I have found it is my fault really but not. I did not know how to make him happy, what I thought would make him happy really didn't and what he thinks will make him happy OR not really isn't what will or will not make him happy. I need to be interesting, get his feet moving by being spontaneous and unpredictable. I need to have as much energy as if someone just tried to pop me in the hind end with a kitchen towel, have you ever had someone try to pop you with a kitchen towel? You know how high your energy is at that time? That is how interesting and energized I need to be. It will be easy to forget this, I will have to remember. I still feel like we still have a gap there, and I do not know what it is but I will find out soon enough and when I do it will be great. Bebe and I played with stage one and two tasks, he is getting REALLY really good, I am so proud of him. He is getting so confident and moving along so fast! I will not have to spend as much time in Level 3 with him than I will with Sundance. I really enjoy being around him, mild (positive) Left Brained Extroverts are so fun and easy and interesting. Both horses are so good for me to play with, they are developing me just like I need to be developed as a future instructor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Another savvy arrow. Sounds like you are reaally figuring Sundance out and he is so glad and thankful for that. It is so cool for us to read your troubles and triumphs. It takes alot of heart to do what you and other Parelli people do! Even though I am amazed and awed and astounded by the tasks you do with your horses (lead changes at 45'?? come on!) I feel like I am experiencing your experiences, it is SO cool!! Good luck with your ponies! :D