Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Happiness is just a Hoofbeat away - June 23, 2008


Sundance
Billions of Things
Sundance and I had SO much fun yesterday, we did so much I will not go into too much detail.
Let's see! First thing I did was fiddle with the saddle and shims and saddle him, then I went out and played on the ground with the 45 foot line. First we did our 'Maintain the Canter' on the line and flying lead changes, I have never seen him buck like that before on a change! He was flying! It was because he has never done a flying lead change with this saddle, boy did I save my behind from some bruising. I love my left brained introvert! Then we went over and did the advanced squeeze game, getting lots better and then we did our prep for sideways on the 45 foot line, which is getting better too! I went and felt under the pad and checked the stirrups and girth before I got on, his scapula wasn't as free as I would like, but we are in the experimenting stage. I am really close on getting the shims where they need to be though, I think I need to slip it back more. I hopped on and we went to the arena to see how he does staying on the rail, gait wise. HEAVEN! I was on cloud 9. We even did some flying lead changes and all I had to do to get it was shift the position of my body, I was enthused and so happy! Later that afternoon I did a little demonstration with him for someone that is interested in Parelli, she is hooked. Even later on, I got on bareback and bridless and we practiced our simple lead changes which went very well, I need to start doing them more. Sundance and I are having so much fun together now, he comes to me every time I call him with ears up and comes even when I don't call him with a smile. Our relationship has seriously never been better, and I think now I have found out how he ticks and doors have opened and more are being unlocked, I am so excited for our future as partners.
Bebe
Slightly unconfident but Successful
We have some construction going on here so he wasn't as confident with all the new stuff near the fence. Nonetheless he did well with his trotting sideways and cantering/lead change on the 22ft line. I kept it real short, because I thought it was best for him at the time.

No comments: