Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back Home! - Fox Point Farm Kids Camp and New Exercises

I am fresh back from Fox Point Farms and so excited and delighted to have such a great experience! I have learned so much and am SO thankful for the one on one time I have had with Charlotte. I am also very sad for Tommy, who has admitted to being allergic to water (Ha ha)! He was just kidding. They also had a chiropractor/snake charmer on location (another joke). I had so much fun and learned so much about me, other people and horses. My teaching has TOTALLY improved, the children loved Sundance and I, we did a few demos and got a couple of private lessons from Charlotte. I really enjoyed being over and will be back soon, no doubt.





From farthest to closest are Bella (Queen Latifa), Julie, Frosty and Glorie. Charlotte's pride and joys, her little shelties that I LOVE so much! Julie and Frosty might be expecting some puppies soon. Frosty is deaf and skittish but is a mommies boy and so sweet! And little Glorie has ran away so keep her in your prayers. These dogs make Fox Point Farm an even better place to be, it wouldn't be the same without them.










Sundance being uphill and light after a session at the Fox Point Farms Lancaster location...






Click Picture














Skip N Ol Paint





Charlotte's Multiple APHA World Champ Gelding that I had the privilege and pleasure to ride.









http://foxpointfarm.com/




The camp schedule, from what I remember went a little like this...


Monday - Getting To Know You Day - We ask questions and assign riders to horses we think are a good fit. Lessons today are used to evaluate horse/rider combinations and rider groups. We have beginners through advanced riders, so it is important to have each rider on a horse who is fun and in a group that is too.





Tuesday - Lessons and Horse Care Day - Today we make any changes we need to in horses and groups. We make sure everyone is happy and learning new skills.





Wednesday - Rodeo Day - We divide riders into 2 groups ( less experienced ride first) and teach them all about rodeo events. All riders 'run' the barrel racing and pole bending patterns (at speeds comfortable for them) just like the ones in local rodeos. (It rained on Rodeo day, so we went in and practiced braiding manes, went to a tack store and learned about saddles and watched movies.)





Thursday - Big Trailride Day - We load horses into trailers and take horses and campers to our Lancaster farm to ride on our extensive trails. Our farm has 50 acres and is bordered by a 600 acre nature preserve so we do not have to ride on any roads. The more experienced group rides first today. We enjoy more riding and swimming in the shallow pond after lunch. The horses and campers absolutely LOVE this afternoon!





Friday - Horseshow Day - We teach riders all about different types of shows. We teach them what to do in a show and run through a 'mock class'. We demonstrate clipping and showgrooming. Riders learn how to bathe 'their' horse for a show.





Parelli Kids Video





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiArk8tjjEs



Video of shows that go on at Fox Point Farms




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UkOaSdx-p8



I just ordered the Parelli Patterns for 50% off!





I found a great new excercise thanks to Charlotte with helping Sundance's right side stay loose and help him collect. I will post a video tomorrow with Sundance and I doing the exercise and will explain it on the video. Charlotte also took some amazing bareback and bridless pictures of Sundance and I and cannot wait until she sends them to me, she is curently in Perry, Georgia getting her reining paint, Dixen ready and prepared for the world show in 2 months so it may take a while to get them.



If you have any questions, just post a comment and I will blog the answer. I just have so much to share I can't fit it all on here!

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Great to hear that you had an awesome time, Mariah. :)
Those shelties are just too cute.
xx

The Alway Family said...

Thanks! I love the shelts.