Thursday, December 4, 2008

The joys of being a leader!

I just read a post on the forum, title "My Mare Bit Me!"...

We played the Games (the first 4 as I'm working through Level 1) and she was sweet, a bit distracted today but she was learning and played the friendly game easily. Then we had a nice walk around the yard on the line, just chilling out. Then I rode her in the school for about 20 minutes, loose rein , a bit of more collected stuff now and again but lots of fun and rewards. No pressure.
Felt good. Took her back to her stable and because she gets dead grumpy when i start doing 'jobs' I decided to just chill out with her for a bit in a timeless way. Anyway I was squatting on the floor (not a great idea) and then a friend of mine came along and we started to chat so my relationship with my mare was interrupted. We chatted away and then my mare strolled over to me and put her head down to me in what seemed an affectionate way (although my friend said afterward that her ears were back.) I should have blocked her but for a split second I forgot she was a horse and then she bit my eyelid. I'm fine (dead lucky ) but have a black eye.
I feel very silly but also upset because it felt quite hostile. Did she want me out of her space? Was she feeling ignored because I was using her space to talk to my friend? Was she just being a horse and I should have warned her out of my space?
I can't get rid of the feeling that all the partnership work is going down the drain if she can do that and yet I know horses nip and she's a horse!!!But I should know that I've only had her 7 months and only been doing Parelli 2 months so I can hardly expect instant results.
Do others understand?

I read this, and know how she feels! But I don't get upset when things like that happen because I know things like this will happen, because you are placing yourself in your horses herd and telling them your the leader. WOW! Think about it! You come home after finding Parelli, then go home to your herd of horses and barge out and say I AM THE LEADER! THAT'S FINAL! Off course theirs going to be some opposition there! That's the fun of it, that's how you learn.

Here is what I posted back...

Just a couple minutes ago Bebe kicked me in the leg... Why? Because I kicked him, he just kicked back as much as I did + 4 ounces. I'm not worried, because I was playing with him and being sassy, and so was he! I re-established my place as a leader afterwards and kept on playing... it's all a part of having horses and finding a place in the herd.

Bebe did not hurt me, it was a sorry little LB play kick... I was surprised though, and laughed because he was giving me feedback on what he thought about me kicking him! I couldn't get offended, I did the same to him.

Sundance and Bebe are doing great, and I am having so much fun with them... those two little brothers follow me everywhere and will do anything for me, which feels so good. I truly really feel both of them see me as their leader, and that is amazing.

No comments: