Saturday, March 22, 2008

Performing Horsenalities

Saturday 10:30 PM EST-
The show at Dixie Stampede was great, what a great group of horsemen & women.
The most splendid show of savvy and horsemanship was a gaited horse doing dressage, I am not totally familiar with dressage terms so please excuse my ignorance. He performed an extended walk (and later a trot) I believe, a beautiful spanish walk, rear on que and countless bows.
It was an absolutely beautiful sight, it fuels my passion for learning and also studying the discipline of dressage. If you want to see some great dressage, go to Medeival Times also another dinner and show. They have Lippizaner stallions that know what their doing, caprioles... the whole show. Okay, back to horsenalities! A majority of the horses were left brained introverts with ears back, swishing tails etc. which is very understandable because of the repetition.
Only two of the horses I saw were different, one of the horses was slightly right brained. He was high headed and bug eyed, it may have been from the tie down and harsh bit in his mouth or the hundreds of predators clapping and shouting around him... there could be countless possiblities of cause. The other horse was a 2-3 year old freisan, he was very interested and calm about what was happening around him. I would classify him as a 'temporary' left brained extrovert, his youngness and the newness of his job has probably caused his extrovertedness but that can wear off. I hope it won't, a mild left brained extroverted horse is an excellent horse. Playful, motivated, SMART, willing, asks questions and a great bonding type horse. My quarter horse horse Bebe is a definate left brained horse and very very smart, I have to make sure I give him what he needs in order for him to stay the way he is. He is an amazing horse and a definate keeper, he will make an amazing horse for me one day. He has an awesome future and is a great partner. :) Be exciting for your horse and never bore him, then he will give you more enthusiasm and willingness and will make a great partner.
xoxo m

No comments: