Sunday, May 25, 2008

May 24, 2008 - Busy Bee

Today was a busy day, I was as busy as a bee in the springtime. But happy all the while, actually content would be the best word to describe me. I had a 3 hour lesson to teach with Bebe as my right hand man, he did great and so did one of my students. So Bebe got his share of savvy and play in 3 hours, I did not want to play with him anymore after that for his sake. He was really spastic, enthusiastic and extroverted, we let him go out in the pasture and he must have at least done 10 mid-air jumps and some bucks and squeals et cetera. He really was a joy to watch, I love to see horses so happy! Sundance did pretty good too. We played with our Level 3 Freestyle carrot stick riding, it felt so good to just shift my weight or to change my energy and he would either slow down or speed up. It's really good for both of us, it helps build my independent seat and his perception to my aids. From previous training out of my control he has developed a not so soft mouth when it comes to much of anything on his head, but has gotten a lot better since we started the program. Other people ride Sundance and struggle to keep him light when they want him to turn or stop or back up, mostly because they have not developed an independent seat and only rely on the reins to control the horse, I often watch them and think to myself that I don't ever have to deal with that on him. I know now it is because I really don't use the reins a lot anymore, I communicate more with my seat, legs and energy through my body; which is the best way in the long run. He isn't so blind to the halter or bridle that he is ever out of control in any situation with another person on his back but he's hard to control for a beginner rider. He is light enough for me in the halter and bridle, we can do some pretty advanced maneuvers and collection exercises. I am going to classify him as an Advanced horse to only be used with Advanced riders. He is in Level 3, I'd call that advanced!


















































































No comments: