Thursday, June 26, 2008

Very Busy, But Squeezed in Some SAVVY!

June 25, 2008

I was very busy yesterday, my parents were gone because my mother needed a minor surgery (She's doing great today though!) and I had to clean the dirtiest part of the barn (which I did not make, my brother and father think it's a storage area *ahem, NO!*) which was quite a task to defeat but got done nonetheless thankfully! I am hosting a South Charlotte Savvy Club play day this Saturday (Which is not tomorrow but the next day!) and have lots to do here to get the place ready, today I am going to clean all of the horses that will be used, clean the stalls and make sure the visiting horses will have water. I am very excited, this will be great for my skills as a future instructor.
Sundance
Advanced Games on the 45ft line, in the dark!
As soon as I finished in the barn which was around 9:15 pm, I had Sundance catch me and we got to play 3 fun games in 10 minutes.
  • Advancing the Circling game - We got 10 full laps in, I only had to pull him in once.
  • Flying Lead Change - (Took place while we did our 10 laps) He is great except he is really bad about picking up a counter canter, he can't seem to be able to pick up the right lead but I guess that he will figure it out as we do more and more and advance the lead changes.
  • Prep for Sideways for 45ft - He is great at this, I really think we are ready to move on.
Bebe
Finding harmony in the Natural Performer... Finally
Yes, I took the most absolute comfortable ride on the Bebe. I rode in the Parelli Cradle bridle too and boy did he feel GREAT! I rode in it again today, I will post more about the 'Collected' canter we found out about tomorrow... it was amazing! I think I have the Natural Performer figured out. I will take more pictures of my partners in the saddle, they look so good and natural in it.

3 comments:

Fran said...

About Sundance's leads: Picking up the wrong lead in the front end means he's trying to get away from pressure. Picking up the wrong lead in the back means he's not being led well enough in the front and he's not getting his lead hind leg under himself well enough to pick it up.

That, and remember that every good transition, up and down, begins not with zone 1, but with zone 5. So point your focus on his hind end, not his front.

Trust this helps, and good luck :)

Savvy on,

Fran

The Alway Family said...

Thanks so much Fran! I am sure that will fix our problem, because it is his hind end that seems to be sticking.

What was it that your instructor said about moving the forequarters or something? (on another note) That helped you so much? I am starting to work on moving his forequarters around and that alone is a challenge, but getting better.

Thanks a ton!

XOXO

Mariah

Fran said...

In response to using/moving the front end: I was participating in a Level 1 clinic (level 1 with excellence for me-lol) and I was playing with the porcupine game on the forhand. The instructor told me that my challenge for the day was to get a complete turn in each direction without Prin picking up her inside hind in each direction. I went into the task somewhat arrogantly (oops!) and soon realized that Prin would come CLOSE to pivoting, but would pick up her foot 3/4 through. So I broke it down into "WHY IS SHE DOING THIS AT THIS PLACE?!" and realized that breaking down into zones, Princess is very light on yeilding zone 1, but in zone 2, she's sticky, and doesn't move her feet off the pressure on her shoulders. Once I got her feet moving (a couple of timely phase 4's later) as well as her zone 1, her spins/pivots were a zillion times better...

Is that what you were looking for?
~F