Wednesday, July 9, 2008

July 8, 2008 - Being an Unpredictable Leader

Unpredictability is Key with Left Brained Introverts
Why? Because they always know WHAT HAPPENS before what happens happens. Left brained introverts are so incredibly smart, but they are introverted about it and have so many 'evil' thoughts it is hard to tell. You can ask them with a Phase 1 and they'll go "Whut?" with this dimwitted face about them, but you quickly use a higher phase and they'll go "Oh, I remember!". Yesterday I had some feed on the other side of the gate, and he found it but couldn't get it on the other side. So the little smarty got to thinking on how he could snatch a bite! Well, he couldn't stick his head through the gate, option one out. He couldn't put his head over the gate and snatch a bite, option two out. He couldn't paw the gate to get it open, option three out. So stumped he was, oh so pitiful. Guess what he tried next? He went down on one knee in the bow JUST like I taught him days ago and put his head under the gait, and nibbled at the bucket just enough to push it farther, close but no cigar. Well, I would say the trick worked pretty well to me because it caused his mommy to reach over and hand him the bucket. Option four, SUCCESS! What a clever little boy he is. All this took place during a 3 hour lesson, so I shot in afterwards just in time to beat the sprinkle of rain the clouds offered. As soon as it stopped I ran outside to play with him again before the big black clouds came, and got just enough done before all unleashed. I put the 45ft line on and got my energy UP like an electricity plant, he soon became excited too. We did some blood pumping close up tasks to get his energy up more then released it into the task I am trying to complete, cantering and trotting on the 45ft line. It went fabulously, MUCH better than on Monday, he actually got almost 5 laps at a canter without correction and did 8 laps with a mixture of trot/canter (but mostly the canter).Then we played with his favorite task, sideways and sideways towards mommy, he did so well and at liberty. By now the absolutely evil looking storm was upon us so we trotted our way back to the barn, just enough time to smooch him, give him a treat and run to the house before getting drenched. That session was awesome. Because of the rain I did not get to play with Bebe, but one of my students did during the three hour lesson, so I don't feel too bad about it. I will work with him first today to make sure we get some level three time under our belt once again!

No comments: