Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SECRET FORMULA!

Oh, all so many people want an easy secret formula on how to ride into the sunset in a perfect partnership with their horse. There is a secret formula ! Well, I wouldn't say it's easy...



You have to learn to be Savvy. What is savvy, you ask?
Savvy is knowing where to be, when to be, why to be and what to do when you get there, at any given moment and in any situation with a horse.



Doesn't sound so much like a short cut any more, eh? No, it's not but it sure can get you a long way. It's a life long pursuit, you can never be too savvy. But once you get a certain amount, it opens up doors you once did not have keys too, ones you never knew were there.



Some savvy help from a friend and fellow level 3 student has opened up a door that I never thought would be opened, it was like a far off dream a million light years away ( and you fellow geeks know just how far away that is! ). Here are some points I already knew but had forgotten, that my friend kindly refreshed and re-added to my savvy arrows which I added to my quiver...



  • Be as light as possible, but as FIRM as necessary.
  • STOP insisting and start PROMISING!
  • Follow through, don't threaten more than 2 times.
  • Sundance needs a strong leader, worth following.

If you have noticed I have put up these reminders (more like screaming consistent rules) on the left hand side of my blog under Fabio and Babys pictures. I am so glad I put them there, now I should not forget and loose this amazing thing we have going on. Sundance and I had the most surprisingly cool session today, it was just amazing. Sundance learned a very important lesson today, what was it again? MOM! GUESS WHAT? IF I CANTER ON MY OWN FOR MORE THAN 5 LAPS, I WON'T DIE FROM EXHAUSTION! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! Yes, you could see it on his face as he trotted into me after cantering all by himself 11 laps! I could have died right then and there! Was I dreaming? Was I hallucinating? Was I going hysterical? Nope, I was going SAVVY. So was Sundae, he did it all for mommy without a crabby look anywhere in sight. He decided he needed some water so we walked over to the pond and he jumped in the pond like a frisky dehydrated foal. He walked around and drank, enjoying the cool refreshing water as a reward for being such a Fabio. We sat by our concrete bench under the weeping willow, on the peninsula of our lake and spent undemanding time. I was so in love, he went between eating the lush grass and coming over to check on mom and give her kisses and nudges. My ears were hurting so much from the lake calling my name so I took of my boots, had Fabio side pass too me, put on the 12 foot line, jump on and swam in the lake together. When he finally got tired we collected our belongings and straightened it up enough for me to sling it over my shoulder, then walked all the way to the barn totally at liberty. We ended the session with Sunday neighing and begging for the sweet feed bucket in my hand. What a great session, couldn't have been any better! What do you think?

1 comment:

Katie Hufton said...

A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
I am SOOO proud of you guys!
Keep up the savvy, Milo.