Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Email to Jesse Peters - 2* Parelli Professional

Here is the email I just sent Jesse Peters (http://jesserpeters.com/) 2 * Parelli Professional...


Hello Mr. Peters,


I have been meaning to introduce myself to you for a while now since I knew you were coming to my friends place in York, South Carolina for a clinic. (I would like to have a private lesson with you in October) But have not had time until now, and also have quite a problem for you to help me solve! I will introduce myself first then present my problem.


My name is Mariah Helms, I am 16 years old and a future Parelli Professional. I first found out about Parelli at the Fletcher tour stop when I was 14 and knew that day my life was changed. Two years later I am in Level 3 with my APHA LBI Gelding "Sundance" and AQHA RBI/LBE Gelding "Bebe". I have been privileged to speak with Pat and Linda personally and have them view my blog (http://mariahpnhelms.blogspot.com/) which has about 48 viewers daily! (Which I still cannot believe) Pat gave me a challenge and he and I want to see it through, he told me to pass my level 3 by the time I am 18 and get to Florida and he will see to I am found there. I finally have some videos up (http://youtube.com/user/savvysundance) too. I dedicated my life to Parelli at 14, now every breath is dedicated to Parelli and I have no doubt if I keep on doing what I am doing I will succeed. My father has blessed me with a small equestrian facility and I now host Parelli Playdays monthly and teach lessons an average 12 hours a week. I have been able to afford all my equipment by myself including the Natural Performer. I play with both of my horses on average 1 and 1/2 hours a day, and put my heart and soul into it. The horse I want to use as my main Parelli Professional horse, to show the world to, is a challenging Moderate/Extreme LBI. He has been a REAL challenge for me and have tried SO hard with him, we have come such a long way too. Our level 3 went along very smoothly until we hit Advancing the Yo-yo game. Everything else so far is great, with some help from a friend, Sundance will canter into eternity for me and are almost done with Stage 2. He is great at Liberty, and in the saddle. He is an amazing mover and once you learn to fit and add 4 ounces to his horsenality he is an amazing partner. Now, I have asked 4 Parelli Professionals for help on this task after some hard long work and thought. (Because of my aspirations of being a Parelli Professional and being stubborn I wanted to wait until I felt like giving up to ask for help!) I have done everything the other professionals told me and way more to try and accomplish this task with savvy and without boring my horse. He will back to the end of the rope but maybe after some failed attempts at phase 4 (he rears so I cannot reach him), and lots of rope tossing to keep the rhythm going. His ears usually stay back, through this task he goes back to the old Sundance. "I will do what you say but with a bad attitude, no enthusiasm at all!" Which he rarely EVER does anymore. I am very stern with him when I need to be, I am light as possible but as firm as necessary. If I was not he would not do a thing I would ask, and I believe he does not go back all the way because he knows I cannot whap the savvy string at him when he is that far away. The whole time I am doing this I am giving him the most evil scheigermutter look on the earth with my energy up. When I do feel he is taunting me at the end of the rope, I make my way up with the carrot stick in a threatening position and the only thing he does is says NO! I will run away before you slap me with that thing! Because he knows he is hard to control at that length. I try to stop him, and when I finally do it is useless because he does not listen to the wiggling of the rope at that time. As I said our relationship is great, he will do most of anything and we are also doing some Level 4 tasks, I believe our relationship is great and everything else in Level 3 so far is going great too. That is why I am so confused!


I will list everything I have tried so far -

1. Normally, as in first tries to get him to back all the way.

2. With large cones as in using point to point.

3. Large cones with treats as in using point to point.

4. Improving our driving game, which is now great.

5. Running backwards, which he will do now at a light phase and run very fast backwards.

6. ALWAYS having our adrenaline and energy up before doing the task.

7. Running backwards the whole way before or during the task.

8. Cookies, he is EXTREMELY food oriented.

9. Breaks, breaks, breaks, rest, rest as a motivator when he comes to me and goes down to the end of the line.


I will keep on with everything else in Level 3 until I get some help, I do not want to ruin our relationship any more until I am savvy enough to handle the situation.

I hope you can help me somehow! I know this is a challenge but I believe you can help me, I have heard great things about you. I look forward to meeting you, getting to know you and hearing of your experiences as a new Parelli Professional. As you now know, I am a future Parelli Professional and hope you can make some difference in my life.


Thank you very much!


Best wishes and always, Keep it Natural!


Mariah Helms


I will post what he replied when he writes back, I can't wait to hear from him.

6 comments:

Katie Oostman said...

That is so awesome!!! I hope he replys back soon! How did you talk to Linda?

holla said...

Hey Mariah-
Let us know when you work this out! I too am curious how you got to talk to Linda???

The Alway Family said...

I caught them at the Fletcher tour stop, not in line or anything but after the show with Neal and I got to show them my heart. Which was AWESOME! I plan to catch them at Jacksonville too.

Jeanne said...

Oh, I hope you get your private lesson. You'll LOVE Jesse! My horse Cheerios and I took a L2 clinic with him in May, and it was incredible.

This was my fifth PNH clinic but my first with this horse, who has been challenging for me. Jesse's help worked wonders in our relationship. I cannot recommend Jesse highly enough.

My sorely-neglected PNH blog is:

They Savvy Horses, Don't They?

Samantha Licato said...

He's on his way down to our place for the next 4 days, so it may be a few days before he gets back to you. Good luck!

The Alway Family said...

Great Jeanne, I can't wait!

Thanks Sam, I noticed he is in Norway, IL today.

Thanks for all the comments!

Mariah