Saturday, August 23, 2008

Flip Horsenalities and CALM DOWN! Way down... Parelli Patterns Notes Added

Guess which future Parelli Professional misread his horse? I will give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count! Goodness, I feel so pumped and sensitive. Odd verb usage, I know. I was watching one of my most dedicated students play with Bebe, then I went to correct something and then sat back down to watch and was shocked. Bebe was calm cool and collected with my quiet low energy student, but as soon as I took a hold of the rope he acted like he was going to explode quietly inside himself. Everyone say, "Hmm!". I guess being with Sundance and having to be such a dominant alpha mare, I have created a 'presence' of myself that is threatening. I have found Bebe, NOT physically (as in 'go' and 'whoa') but emotionally, is VERY sensitive to a persons energy and presence. I also noticed today that if Bebe gets into a higher gait, just for fun to kick up his heels and toss his head around and accidentally triggers some adrenaline it scares him and gets him REALLY right brained. But as soon as he stops, he is calm again. It's like a switch! A REALLY sensitive switch. Everyone say, "Hmm!". And you know me, after figuring this out I HAD to go play with him. After my student left and Bebe rested I got out there with the 45 foot line and lowweeerrrddd my energy waaaayyy down, and got Bebe out. I went to the safe arena, where he feels 'safe', prayed that God would show mercy, and maybe favor and started a medium to high energy session with low energy in myself. That session really taught me a lot about him, today taught me a lot about his inner horsenality and how horribly I misread him! Bebe is a RIGHT BRAINED INTROVERT! *gasp* Not Bebe! Not my little baby! I am SO excited! I am so happy he is a right brained introvert, now that I know his horsenality and now that I have found him out I can tinker, and mess, and twist and voila! Turn him into an amazing, right brained introverted horse. I have been thinking a while about getting a right brained horse and take him (or her) through the levels, just to have that under my belt and in my brain as a plus as a parelli professional. But now I have a right brained horse! He has always been here, and I have already brought him through level 2 and into level 3. The neatest thing is, he is a really sensitive horse. We can communicate really well with Phase 1 now, before I was screaming at him with my body like I did with Sundance. Used to, if I did not scream with my body, Sundance would give me the finger with his face. But Bebe just cowers in fear! So all I have to do with him is whisper. Fran, you are going to be happy to hear this! I got Bebe out on the 45 foot line today! One of the neatest things was when I had him way out on the circle, a horse fly went to bug Bebe and he started to trot... then he started to canter... then I stopped him because I needed to interrupt the pattern (not let him go RB). How sensitive!? VERY. And I LOVE it. Check out his horsenality, he is a 5 dotted RBI and a 4 dotted LBE. He is med/low spirited, and very sensitive. Of course I will mention Sundance, my love. We have been playing with our liberty the past couple days and he has done awesome, relationship changing things. He offered close contact canter, lead change and downward transitions. Mind we do not have a round pen, we have an arena with 2 ropes loose (Split 1/3 and 2/3, we have the 2/3). We have had so much fun, and are ready to check things off and move on. We did carrot stick only riding today, I say we have passed all the tasks in stage 1 and 2 and will be moving on. We can already do most of stage 3, bareback and bridless right now is our strong suit. We went outside of the arena and rode today for the first time without anything not even a savvy string on his head, we jogged to the lake and swam a little bit and loped to the barn. I am so proud of my partners! Starsky has been a joy to be with lately, he has really come around. I will be starting our level 1 riding soon, I am sure he will do wonderful with that big brain between his ears.




Parelli Patterns Notes and Ideas for Sundance - Online DVD

  • Keep on improving the canter
  • Start using 22 ft lines as driving reins
  • Use barrels with 45 ft line and driving reins
  • Use 2 barrels as figure eights and 4 barrels as serpentine
  • Play with the PARELLI ball

Parelli Patterns General Notes - Online DVD

  • Level 1 - 12 ft line
  • Level 2 - 22ft line
  • Level 3 - 45 ft line and 12 ft with excellence
  • Level 4 - Two 22 ft lines as driving reins
  • Touch down? Nose, Neck, Front feet then Back feet
  • It's not about the _____ . It's about the relationship!
  • Confidence and Curiosity then Play and Performance.
  • A horse that can solve puzzles is a horse that can adapt.
  • Never say Never, don't Always say Always and Usually say Usually.'
  • Consistency, Patterns, Variety
  • Variety = Spice of life.
  • Horses are naturally sceptics, cowards, claustrophobics and panicaholics by nature in various degrees.
  • Horses heirchy of importance - Safety, Comfort and Play.

Well, back to watching my Parelli Patterns. Savvy on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol, if you want experience with a RB horse, feel free to come over to my place ANYTIME...my quadpolar mare had some huge RBI/RBE moments today, which involved going between pattern interrupts and undemanding time as soon as there was a change.

Glad you've figured out Bebe, though. It's such a relief and a pain to realize you've misread your horse. The relief being "Wow, now I can make more progress because I know which tactics to use!" and the pain being "WHY didn't I see this EARLIER?"

Thankfully PNH teaches us to be glass half-full people :)

Sarah