Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good Morning!

           Raisin bread toast and vanilla yogurt in my jammies, what a great way to start the day. It is gorgeous outside, I've got a lesson to teach at 10:00 AM. It is quite nice being on a break from school, to enjoy a day without anything but family and horses. Last night around 7:30 PM, my friend Lisa Rask came from Concord and we played for about 2 hours... Sundance and Bebe were quite the characters, I do believe Lisa was laughing 98% of the time she was out there. We eventually got our horse hairy butts in the house, and did some paperwork to make sure we were prepared for the demo. Thank the Lord Lisa was there to help me fill in the blanks, I froze up, was thinking too hard, I tend to do that when I think too hard. The cogs in my brain just clog up, and won't move. I've got to finalize what we have written down, but we have got some good stuff. I encourage you to take out your book "Natural Horsemanship" by Pat Parelli. I opened it up last night to just get a quote out, and read one paragraph; there was so much amazing information in that single paragraph, I was taken back. I will definitely be reading the book again, it is so packed with savvy.

I'd like to encourage you all to memorize the 8 Principles of Natural Horse-man-ship...

1. Horsemanship is Natural.

2. Don't make assumptions.

3.Communication is mutual.

4. Horses and humans have responsibilities.

5. The attitude is justice.

6. Body language is the universal language.

7. Horses teach riders, and riders teach horses.

8. Principles, purpose and time are the tools of teaching.

 

Be sure to follow me on Twitter! It is updated daily, with some good tidbits of savvy thrown in between, don't miss out! http://twitter.com/MariahHelms

2 comments:

Katie Oostman said...

:) Sounds like a great time thanks for putting out those 8 principles! They are for sure good things!

Lisa R said...

Mariah you are right. I was laughing so hard I almost fell off more than once! You, Christian and the horses were all quite the characters. Sundance totally cracks me up! He was like a little kid. "I want my MOMMY, and you aren't my mommy!"

I was thinking that you should just take Duck for awhile and subject her to your and Christian's "insanity" as you put it. You just can't simulate that kind of Chaos! :)

That was a really good time. I haven't ridden like that since I was well, your age! I had a blast and I think we are good to go for Saturday. The weather is supposed to be great so yeah!

I will get out my book and read up as well as re watching level one. I am still nervous though. I am totally RBI...