Saturday, June 6, 2009

Level Four Online/Freestyle Patterns

 

                                        Concentration

Sundance and I are playing with the Level 4 Online and Freestyle Patterns. I have always had problems with his flying lead changes, and I have to say that I am not the best at telling what lead he is on when I am on his back. I decided to hook up the long lines and do a figure eight patterns to help him develop the proper muscles and habits for what I am wanting him to do... in other words, setting it up for success for flying changes. I have started off with having him trot the pattern with long lines. Then I stood at one, and had him canter circles around the barrel. Then I went to the other, and did the same thing. Soon enough, I built it up to where he would canter a circle around one barrel then trot to the other and canter around it and continue the process. The next step I will take, will be him cantering around one barrel... make a flying change then canter around the other, et cetera. I don't think he is ready yet, I want to get the pervious step consistent and easy for him... then I will move on to the next step!

 

                        Pattern Map

Our Freestyle progress is on the same note. We are doing pretty much the same thing, I am just on his back with a carrot stick. I am progressing him the same way also, so the steps are the same. I am doing one pattern different though, I am using 4 barrels instead of 2. I also do the two barrels pattern, I just have to keep it entertaining for my introverted partner... you know!?

          L3-4FSP

(Both of these can be done with two or four barrels, it all depends on the situation and preference.)

I would highly recommend getting the Parelli Patterns, if you do not already have them. They are available on http://www.ultimateparelli.com/. If you want to shoot forward in your journey, get on the main highway and progress like you have never before... I would invest in this educational material.

1 comment:

Katie Oostman said...

Very cool Mariah! Don't worry you'll get it. Just wait until you get your lead changes perfect--what an achievement that will be! It makes it special, doesn't it? The hard parts....

Savvy on!
Katie