Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Progress Updates and Course Registration

It is official! I just talked with Parelli and sent in my info through fax. I will be attending Fast Track #4 in Florida, that starts November 1, 2010. I am very happy with the timing, that will give me a just a short couple months to relax and prepare after graduating high school. I am excited about this school year, there is a lot to learn and it is going to be a wonderful year. I'm even designing and making my own graduation dress! I've got an 18th birthday party to plan too.

                         DSC_1150

Sundance and I are getting psyched about the Lakeland, FL Parelli Celebration, it is coming up quick, only about 1 month away. I wonder which class we will be picked for? I signed up for 3 savvies - Online, Liberty and Freestyle. My family, students and I will be going down together, it will be a blast. I think this is a great preparation ride for Sundance, as we will be traveling right near the Parelli Centers where he will be staying. So if he has any problems with such a long drive (8 plus hours), we can sort it out before the we start the courses... "Prior and Proper Preparation Prevents P-Poor Performance!"

As to Sundance's progress, we are doing very well! He can bow on both sides well now, and that seems to have helped a TON with our flying lead changes. We haven't  done much long line driving at the canter, I've just been testing his flying changes on the 22 foot line... which have been surprisingly much better. I've been doing a lot of stretching  with him lately too, to even out his sides. I think today I will start his long line driving program, really get him built up there. He is now rearing by mirroring on the ground well too, he's really starting to get it. Turning by the tail has been a little hard for him, but he is getting it... he is very good at turning his zone 4 to the right, now today we will start turning to the left.

In the latest Parelli Savvy Times, there is a VERY helpful article by Linda Parelli... "Bribe VS. Bonus"

                                                                    LBI

I love this article, I need to read over it ten million more times, and then maybe I will get all I need out of it! Linda did a wonderful job of explaining the do's and don't's of using treats, and how the use of psychology is much more useful in most cases... but how treats are a wonderful bonus. It really helped me look at the world from a horses point of view. I decided to stop with the treats at the moment, and take on the character of an alpha-mare. My first horse, that I have had for almost 7 years now, is a mare and the alpha of the group. I have watched her manipulate and lead our herd for quite a while now, but never took on the role myself. Reading this article awoke my inner alpha mare! I am so glad I found her too. Now, I am digging at my horses mind... he is asking my so many more questions now, and I have gained a lot of respect from him.  I am paying a lot of attention to...

1. Act like a leader

2. Pay attention to thresholds, block them, allow him to ask for permission

3. Use LOW phases, real low, tiny mouse type low... then QUICK 234! BAM!

4. Keep a lower energy than him, cause him to keep his energy down until he feels he's about to burst with energy.

Those are all I can think of at the moment... just a couple of points I have picked up on. I really do feel like this is one of the "big stepping stone" moments in our progression, because you know... It's always our fault! My Fabio has just been waiting for me to  step it up. I look forward to going out everyday and seeing what we can accomplish now, I do believe I am out of the little rut I have been in. Life is much better from a queens point of view!

Be sure to take a peek at my NEW updated goals on the "My Life, My Dreams" page >>> http://moreonmariah.blogspot.com/

Take a look at my website also, if you have not visited it >>> http://www.mariahhelms.com/

Keep up with me on Twitter too! It's free >>> http://www.twitter.com/MariahHelms

No comments: