Tuesday, September 2, 2008

August 31 - September 3: Amazing Progress! WORDS FINALLY ADDED

Bebe and I had a break through on August 31 with the 45 foot line, I taught him with a different sideways que how to walk straight in front of me (like one line driving) the whole length of the 45 ft line, find the end and go in the circle. It really helps him understand that I want him way out there, even though he'd rather be cuddling with me. I have noticed that doing a brain teaser before we go and do something like this really gets him thinking and with me, he really enjoys it too! I wants to play a lot now, I will ask Sundance to come to me in the pasture and Bebe ends up coming to me and beating Sundance. What a booger! I love it! I must have done something right! Now, every time I work with him, no matter how close he is he comes in to me with positive happy ears forward at a trot or a canter. How amazing is that? I would say VERY! He is a very challenging horse, but I do believe with passive persistence in the proper position he can get through Level 3. I don't ever feel like much of a failure with him if we do not get things right away because I know I can already do this with another horse, Bebe takes a little longer to get through the RB side and into the LB side, and I am having to learn about him by myself, just one small savvy step at a time, making me a savvier more emotionally fit person every time and making him a better, stronger, smarter more courageous horse! This journey is such a great thing for me, such a test, such a challenge, such a privilege. I am so blessed!




Bebe posing for his 'Save the Donkey' shoot...





I decided since I had time and it was gorgeous outside I would get up and go straight out to the horses as soon as I got up, Bebe did great on ground work before (break through!) so I decided to ride him. Well, everything was going great until Taco escaped and went blasting around the property for fun. We decided to follow after him, so we blasted behind him and finally after about 45 minutes later got him back to the house and alerted the family to get my brother the donkey whisperer and put the dern burro up. Bebe did amazing the whole time, did exactly what mom said with no spooks or snorts and was a good baby! I was so proud of him! The pictures were taken right after the chase, he was looking pretty hero-ish so I decided to take a snap shot... Good job Bee!




Fabio being GORGEOUS, practicing his modeling skills with our new barn fan...



Since Sundance and I have moved up in our Level 3 (SCREAM! SMILE!) We had some new tasks to take on, which were not simple but easy! Thanks to my perfect Einstein (Well, Sundance's hair looks cute, not frizzy) partner and the foundation we have. We are starting downward transitions at liberty from w-t-c-t-w-stop-c-t-w etc. really hard stuff, so we did this on the 12 foot line making sure it's gonna be really good and within the first session he was doing this with the 12 foot line so slack and him so close I thought he was going to trip over the line. So it is ready for liberty, I will do this a couple more times but in the arena so he can make the connection. Then we moved onto the flank rope task! (Yes! Couldn't wait for this one.) You use the 12 ft line on the halter as a guider, teacher and safety net. Then you take the 22 foot line and put it around his flank area, but through the metal loop so you can take the pressure off easy.

See diagram below...

You are supposed to play the circling game (w-t-c-stop) with JUST the flank rope as a result, and should practice a long time. So you have to get the circling game really good with the flank rope and not have to use the 12 ft line and have it loose, just like at liberty. You can use a carrot stick but I just prefer to point forward with my leading hand to ask him to go forward, lots easier so you won't have to multi-task as much. If you need to you flip the rope to tap him on the side to go, and you tighten the rope to ask him to slow down and/or stop. Of course my Einstein with cute hair got EVERYTHING within 5 minutes, so we are almost ready to do it at liberty. So I can just check that off my list! I was so happy, could have done flip after flip. What a smarty, and got to say his favorite word... NEXT! So now we get onto Stage 4 online, I wonder what's next. How exciting!


Mariah & Fabio practicing their modeling skills with new barn fan...

Starsky is progressing very well, I have been doing a lot of stretching exercises with cookies because he is so tight because of his severely ex-club footed feet. He looks forward to them everyday, one of my students passed her Level 1 ground with him yesterday and rode him. I was so proud of him! He is doing great, just got to get this riding down pat.


Oh, and I forgot to add. Sundance and I actually are models together, we have modeled for equine clothing companies and work pretty well together!

3 comments:

Katie Hufton said...

You guys are silly..

The Alway Family said...

Thanks! I know. ;)

Katie Oostman said...

Love it, you guys should be models!